We ask for a donation for attendance at field and certain other events and suggest R50 for adults and R10 for children 11 years and younger, with the option of donating R150 PER FAMILY for an annual subscription in July each year.
Some venues will also require an entrance fee which must be paid by each individual.
For field trips we will supply vials, magnifiers, plastic pill bottles and some other basic collecting equipment, but please bring your own if you have as well as any reference books, a picnic lunch, adequate water, a hat and good walking shoes.
- This event has passed.
13 February 2016 - 14 February 2016R250
SATURDAY Meet at 10 a.m. Spider “hunt” in the veld.
Break for lunch and chat.
2 p.m. Astri will give an introduction to spiders in the seminar room and then using microscopes and other resources she and other Spider Club participants will do our best to identify spiders. If the weather is kind Spider Club members can go out again at night. BRING GOOD TORCHES, headlamps are best and a UV torch to find scorpions.
SUNDAY: Spider Club members are free to collect, photograph, preserve, identify and label. The necessary equipment will be supplied by the club. Specimens will go to Leon Lotz at the National Museum Bloemfontein.
This looks to be a stunning weekend in a wonderful part of the country. Deelfontein is about 90 minutes’ from Johannesburg so it isn’t even far! Please let Astri know if you plan to attend on firstname.lastname@example.org or sms 073-168-7187.
ACCOMMODATION TO BE BOOKED AND PAID FOR WITH GERHARD BENADE. The current rates are R250pppn, self catering and he has offered 50% off for the Spider Club members. There is also a bush camp for those who prefer to camp, at R80pppn. Campers must supply thier own bedding. There are two different braai areas, (bring your own firewood) a swimming pool, and lots of hiking, bird watching and mountain biking possibilities for non spider people. You will find all information on the website www.deelfontein.co.za especially the directions. Gerhard’s mobile is 083 280 9784.
Remember non-Spider-Club-members pay R50 per adult and R10 per child 11 years and under to The Spider Club.
From the north (Pretoria, Johannesburg):
- Take the N1 South to Bloemfontein.
- Take the Parys offramp and continue to Parys.
- In Parys, follow the signposts for Vredefort.
- About 3 km outside Parys, turn right to Schoemansdrif.
- After a further 3 km, turn left to Reitzburg. If you hit gravel, you have gone too far!
- There is a crossing after about 4 km, where you continue on straight on a gravel road.
- After a further 8 km, turn right to Reitzburg.
- Exactly 2 km further you will find the turnoff marked “Deelfontein, Gerhard Benade” on the right, after passing the turnoff “Deelfontein, Greeff Boerdery”. If you see a white house near the road, you are too far!
- Enter at the gate with the YELLOW sign.
- After 500 m, there is another gate.
- Follow the signage.
- The guest houses and mountain bike trailhead are on the left.
- The arts retreat, observatory. rondavel and workshop are 400 m further.
- For the bush camp, continue for 1 km until the road forks. Keep left. The campsite is 200 m further.
Please close all gates!
Keep your eyes on your e-mail and our Facebook page as other events may be organised, sometimes at short notice. We will attempt to give you fair warning. And remember that Norman Larsen is at the Cape Union Mart Adventure Centre, Canal walk in Cape Town every Saturday 11h00–12h00 to demonstrate and talk about SPIDERS!